Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Review

_MG_2037
Cycling Tips: I've been using the new Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers for over month now. After using Lightweights last year I had a feeling that I'd be disappointed in every wheel from here on in. The Lightweights were top-shelf. I couldn't imagine anything better.  But you know what? After putting these Firecrests through the wringer this past month I'm absolutely blown away. I never would have expected...

Zipp released the new Firecrest wheels in the middle of last year. What’s new about them? The biggest difference over their previous models is rim shape. These are not just a revamped version of the 404 tubulars. Zipp widened the sidewalls on the Firecrest. As you can see in the illustration below, they are very wide at the tyre (25.5mm) and even wider closer to the spoke bed (27.5mm). The large-radius profile is claimed to produce lower drag figures at a wider range of yaw angles (thus improving handling in crosswinds), better overall ride quality, and improved wheel strength. So far I can verify the first 2 out of 3 of these claims (it’s too soon to tell with regards to strength).
Profile comparison of Zipp 404 models

What do I like about the Zipp 404 Firecrests?

One thing I’ve always liked about all models of Zipp is that they place their spoke nipples on the outside of the rim.When you need to tweak a spoke to true the wheel you don’t need to peel the whole tyre off. This was an especially big bonus with the Zipp tubulars. Many manufacturers place the spoke nipple inside the rim for aerodynamic reasons.
I’ve never owned a carbon clincher wheel before. Since I typically use carbon wheels during racing, I always went with the tubular version of whatever wheel I owned. Tubulars can be a pain in the arse, but they ride beautifully. They’re not the most practical option for the weekend warrior, but if you’re only using them on the weekends then this may not be a big concern. (I’ve previously written about the pros and cons of tuburlars versus clinchers in a post here.)


After using these carbon clinchers with a nice high threadcount tyre on them (290 TPI), I completely forget that I’m riding clinchers. Now I can stop worrying about getting a puncture in the middle of nowhere and use this wheel for training and/or racing if I want.
It took a little bit of getting used to when looking down at the wider rim profile. I had this misconception stuck in my head that a thicker wheel would be slower. After some experience with these wheels I now realise that this couldn’t be further from the truth. When these get rolling in a straight line they are noticeably fast. Definitely faster that the Lightweights were. You triathletes reading should be salivating over these wheels.


The Lightweights accelerated extremely quickly out of the corners and were great for tight crit circuits. These Zipps still accelerate wonderfully, but the stiffness of the Lightweights is hard to beat. The Lightweights were beautiful climbing wheels too. However, when the Lightweights took a tumble, they were expensive to fix or were relegated to the garbage. Sensational wheels, but not very practical for competitive racing if you’re not on a ProTeam budget.

The total weight of the 404 Firecrests is 1,557g (718g front, 830g rear). That’s not extremely light for a set of carbon wheels, but that’s not overly heavy either. The aerodynamics and toughness of the Firecrest 404′s more than make up for their weight. They make an excellent choice for an all-round trainin/racing wheel for those who don’t want to mess around with tubulars.

These days you can get wheels custom built any way you like them, but mine came factory built with Zipp’s 88/188 hubs (grade 10 Swiss steel bearings) and Sapim CX-Ray bladed stainless steel spokes. The hubs roll along as smooth as glass and I notice it every time I take them out.


As with any carbon rim you’ll need to use carbon specific brake pads to get the best braking. I’m using cork brake-pads which work very well and aren’t overly expensive. When it gets wet outside they don’t modulate as well as rubber pads on aluminum rims, but they still work fine.
You can take a look at Zipp’s website for all the specs and aerodynamic benefits, but choosing a wheel is difficult based on comparing specs. If you’re looking for an all-round wheel you can smash up and down Beach Road with as well as take to the races, I encourage you to have a look at these. When I say “all-round”, I don’t mean “middle of the road” either. I can’t think of anything negative to say about them.

2 ความคิดเห็น:

Nate said...

Why don't you take your own pictures instead of poaching from another review site?

MotorBike Helmets said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog

Post a Comment